Langdon is a hamlet in southern Alberta, Canada under the jurisdiction of Rocky View County. Previously an incorporated municipality, Langdon dissolved from village status on January 1, 1946 to become part of the Municipal District of Shepard No. 220.
At an elevation of 1,005 metres (3,297 ft), Langdon is located 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) east of the City of Calgary at the intersection of Highways 560 (Glenmore Trail) and 797, 6.4 kilometres (4.0 mi) south of the Trans Canada Highway and 6.5 kilometres (4.0 mi) north of Highway 22X.
The hamlet is located in census division No. 6 and in the federal riding of Crowfoot.
Langdon was named for R.B. Langdon of Langdon & Shepard, Canadian Pacific Railway subcontracting firm who built a section of the line just east of Calgary. He was born in Vermont in 1826. He worked on the railroad lines of at least 10 US states, notably the St. Paul & Pacific Railroad in 1858. Langdon served as a state senator in Minnesota from 1873 to 1881.
Both the Langdon and Shepard stations took their names from these men. Langdon was one of two people to turn the first sod in the settlement in 1882. A year later, a railway station was set up in a boxcar and named after him.
A post office was established on January 1, 1890 and a telegraph office in 1899. By the year 1905, Langdon and nearby Cheadle were of equal size, and were both important stops along the CPR rail line.
The community of Langdon became known as the “good luck town” because in the twenty-five years between 1883 and 1908, there was not one death. It was also considered lucky because it was situated on the railroad’s horseshoe shaped turnaround.
After a long period of stagnation, Langdon began to grow again in the 1990s and 2000s, with a number of major residential developments under way. This is due to its proximity to Calgary, and like other towns near Calgary, it is becoming a bedroom community.
A new commercial development currently under construction is being designed as a reconstruction of the way Langdon’s main street looked in 1908.
Rocky View County’s 2013 municipal census counted a population of 4,897 in Langdon, an 87.1% change from its 2006 municipal census population of 2,617.
In the 2011 Census, by combining its adjacent population centre and designated place geographies, Langdon had a population of 3,653 living in 1,125 of its 1,157 total dwellings, a 40.8% change from its 2006 population of 2,595. With a land area of 3.44 km2 (1.33 sq mi), it had a population density of 1,061.9/km2 (2,750/sq mi) in 2011.
As of 2006, Langdon had a total population of 2,595 living in 811 dwellings. With a land area of 3.33 km2 (1.29 sq mi), it has a population density of 779.3/km2 (2,018/sq mi).
These figures were derived from summing Langdon’s urban area Statistics Canada data with its designated place Statistics Canada data. More specifically:
- the Langdon urban area had a total population of 2,380 living in 739 dwellings within a land area of 1.80 km2 (0.69 sq mi), resulting in a population density of 1,322.2/km2 (3,424/sq mi)
- the Langdon designated place had a total population of 215 living in 72 dwellings within a land area of 1.53 km2 (0.59 sq mi), resulting in a population density of 140.1/km2 (363/sq mi)
- Langdon’s 2006 urban area and designated place boundaries are contiguous with no overlaps
Langdon is home to the Boulder Creek Golf Course.
Langdon School provides education to students in kindergarten through grade 9. Sarah Thompson School provides education to students from K-5.
Langdon has a bakery/deli, pharmacy, gas station/grocery store, various restaurants, and other assorted merchants.
All information about Langdon courtesy of Wikipedia.